Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Last of the new Ekhein tapes...
Sean McCann - S/T - Ekhein
Sean McCann - S/T - Ekhein
I think there are healthy number Sean McCann fans already out there so I can be honest. Never felt too strongly one way or the other about his work--heard some stuff that was nice enough, heard some stuff that I thought was pretty flat. Given how incredibly prolific he is, this comes as no surprise. I would say this tape falls into the "nice" category, so if you're a fan of his music you will get what you are after. For the uninitiated, McCann makes bright, shimmering drone pieces using his violin as the source material (I believe), which is run through some effects. They've got that vintage "ecstatic" vibe--though there's something a little digital about them to my ears--with the occasional puff of dissonance floating though. Sometimes you can hear the violin more clearly and I like that. Easy, straight-forward stuff, reminds me of Mark McGuire. $7

No comments: