Sunday, January 10, 2010

Dirty Beaches - Self-Titled - NP085
DIRTY BEACHES - SELF TITLED - NP085
Slinky Suicide worship that focuses on that group's electric grooves rather than their unsettled yelps -- this LA bedroomer keeps his sunglasses on as he rides these muted go-go beats into infinity. Song titles like "Coast to Coast," "The Road" and "Easy Rider" reveal a kinship with some kind of expansive, fucked American dream. Head-nodders for the apocalypse. $5
The Twerps - Self-Titled - NP084
THE TWERPS - SELF-TITLED - NP084
***OUT OF STOCK***
OK, I've already sold all my copies of this tape but I thought I'd give it a couple words here because it's easily one of my favorite tapes (heck, releases period) of late and I really recommend that you track a copy down before they're gone. Pure jangle pop for yesterday people. I would say the closest reference would be the Bats in terms of being upbeat, earnest and emotionally direct but there's something much more frayed and personal about the Twerps which is maybe what really gets me. I'm hooked, really really hooked. There are tunes here.
California Son - California Sun - NP088
CALIFORNIA SON - CALIFORNIA SUN - NP088
***OUT OF STOCK***
Another one I'm out of but thought I'd give a shout. Charles Free of Taterbug and Dunebuggy is behind this one, though this might be my favorite of his projects so far. Very kaleidoscopic feel, lots of little parts tumbled together. Scuzzy, warbling tones. Haunted nostalgia, but very pretty. Hope this project's not a one off.

No comments: