Wednesday, June 2, 2010



























GHANA POPULAR MUSIC 1931-1957: FROM PALM WINE MUSIC TO DANCE BAND HIGHLIFE
I'm a record lover but definitely not a collector. That said, this CD is relatively uncommon, as far as I can tell out-of-print, and also one that I love dearly. I have a few excellent compilations of early African pop music but there is something unusual and intriguing about this one. The first time I put it on I didn't make it all the way through -- it took another go before my ears adjusted to the slightly skewed quality of the music, which is certainly influenced by western traditions but not as deeply as I think most of us are used to. My favorite track is H.K. Williams' "Mene wobeko Tamale," a sparse, melancholy duet accompanied only by slide guitar and clave. The liner notes suggest the influence of Jimmy Rodgers. Enjoy!

H.K. Williams "Mene wobeko Tamale"








The whole zip.

1 comment:

i said...

This record is one of my absolute favorites. Behind the obvious rhythms are subtle ones and there is a presence in the performance that makes me feel here and now; i find my self calm and full of dancing.